News

King Charles ‘so proud’ of Kate as he issues statement following her cancer diagnosis

King Charles has said he is “so proud” of Princess Kate in a new statement following her “courageous” cancer announcement.

This evening the princess announced that during an abdominal operation cancer was found.

They also said that following the King and Kate’s time in hospital together the monarch has “remained in the closest contact with his beloved daughter-in-law throughout the past weeks.”

The spokesperson also said that both the King and the Queen “will continue to offer their love and support to the whole family through this difficult time.”

The King was diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer in February and has been undergoing treatment.

Charles went into hospital for treatment of an enlarged prostate, but during the operation, a form of cancer was also found.

The monarch has stepped back from public-facing duties under medical advice but continues to hold private meetings and do paperwork.

On January 17, Kensington Palace announced that the Princess of Wales underwent a “planned abdominal surgery” the previous day.

The Princess of Wales explained that at the time of the surgery, they thought the condition was non-cancerous, however, tests following the operation found that cancer was present.

The King and the princess were at The London Clinic for their operations at the same time.

In a video, Princess Kate said: “I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you, personally, for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I have been recovering from surgery.

“It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family, but I’ve had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful.

“In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present.

“My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment.”

The Princess of Wales continued: “This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family.

“As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment.

“But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok.

“As I have said to them; I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits.

“Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.”

 

Back to top button