The 28-year-old was convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences and released from prison in December 2018 on licence. He had been living in the Staffordshire area and officers were searching the address
The London Bridge attacker who killed a man and a woman has been named by police as 28-year-old Usman Khan.
Khan was convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences and released from prison last December on licence, Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said.
In February 2012, Khan was jailed for eight years in prison over his part in an al Qaida-inspired terror group that plotted to bomb the London Stock Exchange and build a terrorist training camp on land in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir owned by Khan’s family.
The Stoke-on-Trent-based radical, along with two co-conspirators, originally received an indeterminate sentence for public protection but this was quashed at the Court of Appeal in April 2013 and he was given a determinate 16-year jail term.
Speaking before chairing a meeting of the Government’s emergency committee Cobra on Friday night, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had “long argued” that it is a “mistake to allow serious and violent criminals to come out of prison early and it is very important that we get out of that habit and that we enforce the appropriate sentences for dangerous criminals, especially for terrorists, that I think the public will want to see”.
The Commissioner said Khan had been living in the Staffordshire area and officers were searching the address.
He added police were “not actively seeking anyone else” over the attack which left two dead and several others injured.
In a statement, Mr Basu said: “The investigation into the attack near London Bridge continues at a pace.
“Whilst we are still in the early stages of the investigation, at this time we are not actively seeking anyone else in relation to the attack.
“However, we continue to make fast time enquiries to ensure that no other people were involved in this attack and that there is no outstanding threat to the public.