A lightning bolt has hit a house causing a huge fire leading to a street being evacuated.
A ‘loud bang’ was heard for miles around the Ashton-Under-Lyne area around this morning (January 7) as lightning struck the roof of a house on the corner of Store Street and Picton Street, off Oldham Road.
The huge bolt of lightning instantly caused a fire in the attic in the end terraced house, sparking a huge emergency services response and evacuation of neighbouring homes.
One resident said: “You could instantly see smoke coming from the house and we called the fire service straight away.”
At least five fire engines quickly attended the scene and shut off the road to deal with the blaze, with police also in attendance.