Man Utd hero Amad Diallo sent off after knocking Liverpool out of FA Cup quarter-final

Manchester United pulled off an epic comeback with Amad Diallo scoring a winner in the dying minutes of their FA Cup quarter-final against Liverpool before being sent off seconds later.

Cup ties between Liverpool and United are always closely-fought affairs with bad blood between them both and the clash on Sunday didn’t disappoint for drama.

Bragging rights are always up for grabs between England’s two most successful clubs with Liverpool having enjoyed the better share of results in recent years.

Jurgen Klopp’s side headed into the match with a chance of a quadruple still on the cards while the FA Cup represented United’s last real chance of silverware for the season.

It set up a tasty clash at Old Trafford and United got off to the better start when Scott McTominay gave his side the lead inside 10 minutes.

A few minutes later and United had a big penalty shout when Alejandro Garnacho saw his shot blocked by Andy Robertson in the box.

Replays showed the ball had bounced onto Robertson’s hand, but the referee waved away protests.

Liverpool began to grow into the game as the half dragged on and eventually found their equaliser through Alexis Mac Allister just before the break.

And there was enough time for Liverpool to grab the lead on the stroke of half-time with Mohamed Salah pouncing on a loose ball inside the box.

United had protested about a foul on Bruno Fernandes from Joe Gomez in the build-up to Salah’s goal, but the goal stood and the Portugal international ended up being booked for his protests.

Liverpool dominated possession in the second half but United stood firm at the back to keep the score to within one goal.

And they were rewarded for their efforts at the back with Antony firing in an equaliser with just minutes remaining in the cup tie to force extra time.

All the momentum was with United for extra time, but Liverpool dealt everything the hosts were throwing at them.

Liverpool then regained the lead through a speculative effort from Harvey Elliott from 25 yards out after a big deflection took it past Andre Onana.

The visitors attempted to run down the clock early in the second half of extra time with Caoimhin Kelleher eventually booked after jeers from the crowd as he took too long to take a goal kick.

But United continued pushing and found another equaliser with Marcus Rashford finishing into the bottom corner to lift the roof off of Old Trafford.

The tie looked destined to be decided by penalties until Liverpool made the costly error of committing too many men forward and being caught out in the dying minutes.

Alejandro Garnacho broke up the field with Amad running free down the left and the Ivory Coast international was played in before he placed an accurate shot into the far corner before wheeling off to spark wild celebrations in the ground.

Amad celebrated by taking his top off, which left the referee with no option but to show him a red card after being booked earlier in the match.

It meant United had to hang on with 10 men for the final few minutes, but Liverpool were unable to find an equaliser with the hosts holding on for a famous victory.

Back to top button