News

Princess Kate announces shock cancer diagnosis – has been undergoing chemo

The Princess of Wales is being treated for cancer, she announced tonight in a video message.

The future queen is currently undergoing a course of chemotherapy that started in February, Kensington Palace announced. Kate, 42, was admitted to hospital on January 16 for “major abdominal surgery”, which has been confirmed as successful.

At the time of her operation it was thought that her condition was non-cancerous, as no tests had confirmed the presence of cancer. However, post-operative tests confirmed that cancer had been present.

In an emotional and heartfelt televised statement to the world confirming her diagnosis, recorded in Windsor on Wednesday, Kate spoke of “an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family”.

But in a sign of her incredible bravery, the princess issued a message of hope for those also facing their own battle, saying:For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone.”

Sitting outside on a dark brown park bench, in front of a lush spring backdrop of daffodils, the mum-of-three described her plight as “a huge shock” and confirmed she had, together with her husband Prince William, 41, personally informed of their three children Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, eight and Prince Louis, five of her diagnosis – but told them: “I am going to be ok”.

King Charles and Queen Camilla had been informed of the princess’ condition and of her public statement ahead of time. The shocking news comes amid the King’s own battle with the disease after Buckingham Palace announced on February 5 that the monarch had been diagnosed with “a form of cancer”. Charles, 75, has been undergoing weekly treatment for the disease and keeping up with a small diary of controlled public engagements, while also issuing a recent message of thanks to the public for the messages of support he had received.

Kate confirmed in her message that doctors told her cancer had been present in her body before advising her to undergo a course of “preventative chemotheraphy”. The princess confirmed she is “now in the early stages of that treatment”.

Appearing incredibly stoic while delivering her devastating message, the princess praised her husband Prince William for his love and support, saying: “Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.

“Kate confirmed she started her ongoing treatment after a period of recuperation from her original surgery, while adding: “William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family.”

In her recorded message, the princess also thanked the public for the “wonderful messages of support” since she was admitted to The London Clinic in January. t the time, Kensington Palace said Kate would remain in hospital for two weeks and would return to royal duties after Easter.

She was discharged after 13 days on January 29 and has since been recovering at the family home in Windsor. Following the princess’ cancer diagnosis and ongoing treatment, there is currently no time frame for her to return to royal duties. Kate said she would now focus on her recovery and would “look forward to being back when I am able”.

A Kensington Palace spokesperson said: “The Princess is in good spirits and focused on her recovery. She is hugely grateful to the medical team for the care they are providing to her. She now needs time, space and privacy to complete her treatment and make a full recovery.”

In her message, recorded by BBC Studios, the princess said: “I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you, personally, for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I have been recovering from surgery. It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family, but I’ve had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful.

“In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present.

“My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment. This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine, this has taken time.

“My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment. This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine, this has taken time.

“It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok.

“As I have said to them; I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits. Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.

“We hope that you will understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment. My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery. At this time, I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone.”

Back to top button