The Royal Family

Queen ‘May never carry out major engagements ever again’

The Queen is continuing to scale back her commitments after it was announced she would miss the Commonwealth Day service.

It is the first time in just under a decade that the 95-year-old monarch has missed the event.

Buckingham Palace has not officially commented, but some senior aides have now accepted that Her Majesty may not be able to carry out some major public engagements ever again.

A source said: ‘The Queen is still as alert, able and interested as ever but, physically, she isn’t as strong as she once was, which is entirely understandable for a woman of her age.’

The source told the Daily Mail: ‘It’s easy to envisage that they will continue in that vein but I wouldn’t rule out Her Majesty doing smaller or one-off investitures.’

Despite saying the ‘frailties that come with living a long life’ are catching up with her, the source stressed she is not unwell and is ‘as committed to her duties of state as ever’.

She is understood to be ‘regretful’ to miss the service but wishes to ‘pace herself’ in public so she can attend a service of thanksgiving to honour her husband Prince Philip, who died almost a year ago, on March 29.

The Queen caught Covid-19 last month and has since recovered, holding a meeting with Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau at Windsor Castle last week.

Mr Trudeau and other sources have said she was in good health and was not using her walking stick.

Another source confirmed she appeared to be ‘bright, alert and walking relatively unencumbered’ after seeing her at Sandringham last month.

But insiders say the Queen has ‘good days and less good days, as you would expect’ due to her age.

This is causing concern regarding how many of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations she may be able to attend, which is taking place at the beginning of June.

Back to top button