A vegan was left feeling ‘sick and heartbroken’ after she accidentally ate chicken when KFC got her plant-based burger order wrong.
Nic Kent, 27, has been vegan for five years and was keen to try out the chicken shop’s new meat-free burger with her sister, who is also vegan.
The pair ordered their burgers from the Clifton store in Nottingham and took them home to eat.
But after Ms Kent’s sister, who has asked not to be named, took a bite of hers – she realised staff had got her order wrong and she had just eaten chicken.
She is also lactose intolerant, which meant she felt sick after accidentally eating cheese as well.
Ms Kent said: ‘I felt sick. I was heartbroken. It has been a long time since I first became a vegan. I went to brush my teeth after.’
She explained that the box was labelled a ‘zero chicken’ burger which states on the side: ‘Finger lickin’ vegan. Until you add non-vegan stuff, obviously.’
She said she had taken a bite without thinking, putting her trust in KFC to put the correct burger in the box.
She added: ‘You know when you are so hungry and you do not chew? I waited a long time for it so I was hungry and I just wanted to enjoy it. Luckily it was not a big bite.
‘I’ve been vegan for five years so I known damn well that was not any plant-based stuff. I could feel the meat going down my throat.
A KFC spokesperson added: ‘We’re really sorry for what happened with Nic’s order – we got it wrong on this occasion.
‘We offered a full refund straight away and a replacement Vegan Burger, but we realise it’s super important we don’t slip up – particularly when it comes to allergens.
‘We’ve followed up with our teams to remind them of the importance of getting the right order to the right customer – and we’ll keep doing everything we can to prevent this happening again.’